Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Name- Holly

The name Holly not only reminds me of myself but it also reminds me of Christmas. You know, have a Holly jolly Christmas and all that. I think of the red berries on the Holly tree and how pointy the leaves are on it. When I think back on my experiences in school, I never knew very many other girls named Holly. There were only one or two of us. I used to love hearing the story of how my mom decided to name me. She was going to name me Jennifer Lynell, but the day I was born, both my grandmothers came in to see me and one said, "her name should be Holly.", the other Grandma said"Yes, and her middle name should be Rae.". I have no idea where the two of them came up with Holly Rae, but I think its nice that they suggested it and that's what my mother went with. I had several Jennifer's in my school. I'm glad I got stuck with a more unique name. I like the idea of generational or family names too.  Had I put more thought in to my childrens' names, I might have been more likely to name them after a family member.

Holly (name)

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Holly
Ilex-aquifolium (Europaeische Stechpalme-1.jpg
The name Holly is derived from the name of the plant.
Gender Female
Origin
Word/Name Old English
Meaning Related to the plant; related to Christmas time.
Region of origin Europe
Holly is an English given name that has mostly feminine use. The name derives from the name of the plant, from the Old English word holen.[1] Because holly is used as decoration at Christmas, Holly is a name given to girls born around that time or after. Alternate versions include: Hollie, Holli, Holie, etc.[2] As a first name in 2009, Holly ranked #380 for most popular girl baby name in the United States[3] and the 24th most popular girl's name in England in 2012.[4] 'Hollie' is the girls version of this name, but spelt traditionally 'Holly' is a male name. The name 'Holly' is an old Pagan god name rooted from the plant name. It was believed from the mid-summer soltice to the mid-winter soltice the god of the 'Holly' looked after the people and lands. Conversely, the god of the 'oak' took over between winter and early summer. So any male born during the second half of the year could be named Holly in tribute. This belief preceded Christmas by thousands of years.

No comments:

Post a Comment