Wednesday, November 13, 2013

black card, red card

I have had a very interesting upbringing. My mother was 22 years old when she had me back in Miami Oklahoma. Our lives revolved around weekend parting and fishing. Most of my vacations were spent at a family reunion, that sounded much like a Hank Williams Jr. song, or on the lake "trying to catch the big one", or at least making up a really good story about how it got away from me. As a girl around a bunch of boys, I really needed to bring back that fish or no one ever believed I had caught it. It was always a good time at our house. Lots of people and great food as my dad was the king of the grill. Music was a big part in my house. Being from Miami Oklahoma, my parents new lots of people. One in particular was Steve Gains. He was in the band Lennard Skinard. Steve and my dad were very good friends growing up. My first concert was Lennard Skinard and 38 Special. I was 2 years old. I don't remember it, but I do have pictures of me sitting on the drummers shoulders, on stage while he played a drum solo. Maybe that was very unconventional, but my parents were hippies.  It was all pretty normal to me. Loud bands, lots of people, great food all weekend long.

No comments:

Post a Comment